Immigrants: Know Your Rights
With the Administration’s announcement of ICE Raids across America, it’s important that immigrants understand their rights. If you have any questions or need assistance, please, contact my office at 718-287-1142.
If Approached by ICE Agents or Police
- You do NOT have to reveal your immigration status and have the right to remain silent
If ICE Agents Come to Your Home
- You do NOT have to open the door
Ask to see a search warrant through the window or for it to be slipped under the door
- A deportation warrant is NOT the same as a search warrant and does NOT authorize ICE agents to enter the home without permission
- You have the right to refuse ICE permission to enter your home if the agents do not present a search warrant signed by a judge
- If ICE enters without a valid warrant, ask for the agents’ names and badge numbers
If You Are Arrested or Being Detained
- You have the right to speak to a lawyer immediately You have the right to remain silent and refuse to sign any documents without advice from an attorney
This information should not be construed as legal advice. For such advice, consult an immigration attorney.